Tuesday 20 March 2007

Alternative Fashion Week

This week is Alternative Fashion Week, London Fashion Week's younger, funkier sibling. Organised by Alternative Arts, the event takes place in Spitalfields Traders Market, E1.

This year over 60 young designers will be showcasing their work at daily fashion shows (start 1.15pm) to contemporary live jazz from The Size Zero Band. Twelve designers are on show each day. There is also the Fashion Market, which runs from 12.00pm to 3.00pm.

I decided to check it out yesterday. Those people that were in London will know that it was freezing yesterday. But that didn't stop the assorted designers, fashionistas and design students bagging their seats for the show early. I don't know how they stuck it out till the end. I slunk of early for a warming hot chocolate when my hands got too cold to hold my camera.

The fashion show was certainly worth the wait in the cold though. You won't find Stella MacCartney here, or spot Posh Spice in the front row, but you will see up-and-coming youngsters who have recently graduated or are about to. I saw clothes that were fun and funky, and some were even wearable. Names found here are names to watch out for in the future.

The Fashion Market features stalls from various designer-makers. The goods on offer are all handmade and originals. I picked up a bracelet and was told, "You're my first sale!"

Althernative Fashion Week runs until 23 March.

Links
Alternative Fashion Week

No comments: